Monday, August 23, 2010

Followup Review on the Macally iPad Case

Macally BOOKSTAND Protective Case and Stand for iPad
So I've had the case for a couple of months now, and it's taken a beating. But it's still doing well in it primary function: keeping my iPad safe from minor dings and scratches. The only two major items are the leather tab and the inside of the cover.


The leather tab started to fray after a few weeks of use. Now, the underside has completely peeled off and it's flapping free. After taking the picture, I cut off the loose end and its much easier to slide into the slot in the closed position. The stand position still takes some tugging to get it through, but it's a minor issue in that case. The major issue is that the cardboard is really wobbly now when standing it up.

The other problem is that the inside of the front cover came off. It looks like it attached to the plastic piece with some glue and just pulled off after frequent use. It's not a big deal, but I do wish it was attached a bit more securely. Ultimately, though, it doesn't detract from the functionality at all.

All in all, I'm still a bit ambivalent about the case overall. It's still protecting my iPad, and I do put it through a lot of daily use. But at around $35, I would have expected it to last longer. I probably won't replace it until it wears out completely, so in that regard, I'll consider it a good purchase if it lasts six months to a year.